Mar 26, 2012

Our Ana White Farmhouse Bed

We built a bed! Even a year or so ago, I honestly never thought I'd hear those words come out of my mouth. I'm not the handiest of people, but I do have a new found tenacity when it comes to DIY'ing a little love into this sweet home of ours. And that's what got this ball rolling...tenacity...and a whole lot of blog surfing....and a willing husband who rarely questions my crazy ideas :)

As previously mentioned, I got the idea for this bed here, and the plans here. With our optimism and energy levels high, and our experience levels low we set out to build ourselves a bed! Unfortunately, I failed to take an adequate amount of pictures... lesson learned. will do better next time.

And speaking of lessons, here's another.

There's no way you won't look creepy smiling for the camera while wearing a sanding respirator mask.... See Exhibit A & B.

Exhibit A

Exhibit B
Lesson learned. the hard way. Now the only face shot photos we have of us sanding our lovely bed are slightly creepy. Turns out Tyra's whole 'smizing' phenomenon really doesn't work when you can't see your mouth. Like...our eyes are smiling, but that's not helping much in these pictures now is it?

Anyway, on to the bed building. Cutting the wood and assembling the the bed was pretty straight forward according to the bed building instructions. But, in addition to those instructions, we did a couple custom changes to our bed that we're super happy about.

1. We softened all the edges on all the wood we used. This was my job.  I just sanded all of the corners and edges on any pieces of wood that would be visible.  It wasn't always even and I was cool with that.  I was going for rustic.

2. We made the molding on the top of the footboard and headboard angled and a bit more ornate than the plans asked for.  I think this step helped make the bed more custom looking and a little less 'straight outta the lumber yard' looking.

3. A couple other changes that won't make any sense without pictures, so you'll just have to trust me :)

After assembly, there was a whole lot of sanding that happened. Sand, sand, sand...'til I couldn't sand anymore. 

Note: we dressed up and did our hair for these photos. I'm thinking of even including a few of these photos in my glamour shots folder. This is grade A class right here.

After we sanded until our hands and arms were numb, we cleaned the whole bed frame off with a damp rag and were left with a bed ready for staining and painting.

To finish the bed, we opted for a slightly unconventional finish. You see, I wanted to paint the bed white, but for the edges and corners to be scuffed up a bit. I was going for a reclaimed, beach house/Cape Cod kind of feel with the finish.  So, while I have seen some people paint, then sand, stain and remove to create this look, we did the opposite.  We stained the wood first.

In doing this, we definitely ran the risk of the stain bleeding through the paint. We were willing to take that chance though, as a little yellowing of the while paint, in my opinion wouldn't hurt the rustic feel we were going for.

We chose 'Dark Walnut' for the stain, because it was nice and dark and we figured it would contrast nicely with the white and show better when we scuffed up the white paint and exposed it. Luckily this worked. This was all very 'trial and error'.

Finally, we started painting. This was totally my job.  By this point, Ryan had definitely pulled his weight and more by cutting, assembling and helping sand the entire piece. It was my turn to finish this puppy up.

He was there though, to capture my super vogue outfit and perfectly styled hair. For that, I am so grateful.

For this step, I just painted one coat of primer and one coat of white paint.

I left the whole thing a little streaky and I like it that way. Again, I feel like it gives off that Cape Cod/beachy/reclaimed feel I was going for.

After the paint was applied, I took some fine grit sand paper and started scuffing away. At first it was scary, but after a few scuffs, I was addicted. The more I roughed up the corners and the edges, the more authentic the bed started to look. And, after all that, I sealed the bed up with a coat of Verathane.

In the end, I'm really happy with how everything turned out. This bed is rock solid, totally us, and only cost about $200 in materials to build! 

Hello. My name is Carli, and I'm addicted to DIY.

1 comment:

Painted & Polished. All rights reserved. BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio.