Oct 13, 2014

Creating Character in Our Home ~ 11/31

DAY 11 // PAINT IT


Like many people I'm sure, we have several pieces of furniture tucked away in our unfinished basement which used to work in our prior home that we don't seem to use anymore. Nothing wrong with them functionally. They just either don't fit in our new space or more likely, don't go with the decorative feel of our new space. In our last home, our kitchen cabinets, hardwood floors and most of our wood furniture was deep, espresso brown. Moving into our new home, we new we wanted the major structural components of our home to be much lighter and brighter. And while we're loving our white kitchen, white baseboards, doors and trim it turns out a lot of our pre-existing furniture doesn't seem to fit in … at first glance. 

That is, until I get my painting paws on it. I've been painting and repurposing furniture for some time now, but this project is my first attempt using chalk paint; thanks to a sweet DIY loving neighbour and friend, who graciously lent me her supplies. The verdict? I absolutely love the stuff and plan on buying 10 cans as soon as I possibly can. Nothing in my house is safe from a paint makeover at this point. Nothing I tell you ;) 


The project came together so quick and so easily. After painting and waxing the two side tables, I switched out the silver nobs they came with for a couple of distressed, wrought iron knobs I bought at Hobby Lobby for $2/ea. a couple weeks ago in Spokane and they were done. I can't wait to get them moved into our guest room sometime this week! 

I love little projects like this. Using items I already have, but re-imagining them in a way that better suits our current space and lifestyle is always so rewarding. 

4 comments:

  1. I have been away from the blog world for the past few chaotic months of my life, but I just shamelessly caught up on all your posts in one sitting! Your home is SO lovely and beautiful and I'm loving all the details and personal touches you're sharing with us. It looks so bright and welcoming and can I just say CLEAN. I love it. Also, you are looking just GREAT. Pregnancy is very, very good to you my friend. And I am so happy for you guys! I can't wait for you to experience all the joy headed your way. It's good to read your writing again! Happy belated Thanksgiving to you and your family :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Carly! It's great to be writing again :) And I can understand why you've been away from the blog world…you've had your hands full with a whole lot of cuteness these past few months :) Little Taylor is just precious!

      Thanks so much about our home and for your kind comments regarding my pregnancy. You are tooooo sweet! We're so excited for the adventure of life with baby. I can only imagine the joy you've experienced since welcoming Taylor. We so look forward to experiencing that ourselves. Hope you are doing well friend :)

      Delete
  2. I really love your series. That piece turned out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Appreciate you checking in and reading along :)

      Delete

Painted & Polished. All rights reserved. BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio.